Tuesday, March 31, 2009

going backwards

Restricting a woman´s right to leave the house, and denying a woman´s right to refuse sex with her husband.

How on earth do these things make any sense?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/afghan-leader-accused-of-bid-to-legalise-rape-1658049.html

I don´t know anything about how to better the situation in Afghanistan. I don´t know whether anyone has the answer, even if they say they do.

All I know is that if I were an Afhgani woman I would need to have an iron will just to wake up every day and live such an oppressive lifestyle. Especially if I were an Aghani woman who had in her living memory the experience of having left the house, of having studied, of having lived life.

One of the best novels I have read in a long time is precisely about the hell that women in Afghanistan have gone through:


I can´t believe this proposed law in Afghanistan, and I can´t believe the Afghani president is backing it.


Read it.