Friday, May 8, 2009

Gettin to know meeself

It is proven. I´m a died in the wool activist.

Yesterday I was in a meeting with some close colleagues of mine from various Mexican human rights NGOS. We were analyzing and discussing constitutional reform on human rights in Mexico, and how we were going to respond, as well as an extremely concerning package of reforms in Congress that could allow for further military involvement in public security and a lack of civil controls on executive power.

After 2 hours of discussion in the meeting, something burst out from inside of me and I made the following pronouncement:

"WE ARE 0.005% OF THE POPULATION IN MEXICO WHO KNOWS ABOUT THIS FOR GOODNESS SAKE!! CAN WE PLEASE STOP BEING LAWYERS AND BE ACTIVISTS FOR A MOMENT!"

I then continued to propose a whole variety of international and media strategies. Maybe my reaction was exaggerated, but it was fun, and I made a point and had colleagues nodding. Here´s hoping we can carry the ideas through.

It was a funny moment for myself and my colleagues, and I was happy to know that it was a meeting where we could all debate and just get things off our chest.

Legal analysis for me is of course extremely important and I rely on it daily, however if things don´t MOVE socially, I get frustrated.

I have been wondering for a while if I am a jurist or an activist. Yesterday´s sponteanous and unconscious reaction just gave me my answer.

No comments: